Why does Google Chrome use so much RAM?
That’s because Chrome considers all your tabs as a separate process. This way, Google can prevent browser takedown from viruses and malware infection by isolating the particular tab or process.
But that’s not the sole reason; a quick peek into the Google Chrome task manager shows evidence that there are other factors at play as well such as extensions enabled, tabs opened, any third-party tools, etc.
The deadliest of all, however, sits right below the Google Chrome process in the Windows 10 Task manager titled, ” software_reporter_tool.exe.”
How to solve fix this Software Reporter Tool?
You can directly find the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool under the following path in Windows 10 – C: / Users / [username ] / AppData / Local / Google / Chrome / User Data/ SwReporter / [version]
Since the tool frequently scans the system, it has been associated with taking too much of PC memory. Moreover, many users have spotted software_reporter_tool causing slow gaming performance on their PC.
- Go to the SwReporter folder located the system storage
- Right-click on it and choose properties
- Go to the Security tab — Click on Advance
- Now select the option “Disable inheritance”
- Choose “Remove all inherited permissions from this object” in the new pop-up and hit OK
That's it. Now you can see less CPU usage.